[luatex] Modifying protrusion default.

stefano franchi stefano.franchi at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 16:36:01 CEST 2013

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Reinhard Kotucha
<reinhard.kotucha at web.de>wrote:

> Hi John,
> character protrusion was introduced more than a decade ago in pdfTeX.
> There are many good reasons to use LuaTeX but you don't need LuaTeX if
> character protrusion is the _only_ feature you need.

Although, LuaTex is the only TeX engine to offer character protrusion with
system fonts. PdfTex requires cumbersome typeface-by-typeface setups and
XeTeX has troubles working with the microtype package.
At least this was the situation until a couple of years ago when I switched
to LuaTeX.

Perhaps things have changed now? I remember XeTeX was slowly catching up on
the microtype features it supported, but I haven't really followed its
evolution closely.

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stefano at tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org