[luatex] updates to various lua* packages breaks..something.

Evan Cooch evan.cooch at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 12:58:27 CEST 2013

Hello!

On 4/24/2013 4:49 AM, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> Hi Evan!
>
> ···<date: 2013-04-23, Tuesday>···<from: Evan Cooch>···
>
>> First time posting to this list. Apologies if posts 'like this'
>> should go somewhere (or to someone) else.
>>
>> After most recent (23 Apr) updates (I'm using MikTeX 2.9) to various
> Which most recent update are you talking about? Could you please
> add the output of mkluatexfontdb -V ?

mkluatexfontdb version 1.07, database version 2.009

This is the *current* version I 'updated' too. Whatever the previous
version was generated no errors.

> How do you use luaotfload? Plain or Latex? With fontspec? Could
> you please post a minimal example that triggers the error with
> fonts that are on CTAN? Thank you.

With fonts that are on CTAN? That sort of defeats the purpose of using
fontspec in the first place! :-)

But, it doesn't matter. I normally use Minion Pro (which I own), but it
fails even using XITS  Here is a simple MWE

\documentclass[11pt,letterpaper]{article}

\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{XITS}
\usepackage{unicode-math}
   \setmathfont{Asana Math}

\begin{document}

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Praesent in
tincidunt nulla. Donec quis laoreet est. Aenean vitae est felis, a
venenatis magna. Mauris semper bibendum vulputate. Etiam bibendum quam
ut erat rutrum consequat.

\begin{equation}
\frac{dN}{dt}=rN\left(1-\frac{N}{K}\right)
\end{equation}

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Morbi eget
dolor ac diam interdum volutpat. Cras luctus congue nibh, at dictum
nulla iaculis quis.

\end{document}

When I try to compile this using lualatex (using MikTeX 2.9),  it
absolutely refuses to compile. For this MWE, the error message actually
occurs during liaotfload:

Luaotfload | scanning TEXMF and OS fonts...lualatex: Unexpected condition.

And then it stops.

>> Compilation itself does seem to progress 'correctly', but something
>> that takes twice as long (because of what appears to be a bug
>> causing luaotfload to run every time a file is compiled, is not an
>> 'update'.
> Probably an incorrect "file:" lookup.

Meaning?

>> Wonder if its related to the following. If I bring up an admin cmd
>> console, and run
>>
>> mkluatexfontdb -f -vvv
>>
>> I get an error:
>>
>> mklualatexdb: Windows API Error 5: Access is denied
>> mklualatexdb: Data: C://Documents and settings
> Sorry, no idea. Maybe you need to pass it to texlua?

Sorry, but that seems like a stretch.  Everything worked before worked
before.

>> When I run this on my other machines - which I have not 'updated' -
>> mkluatexfontdb runs fine.
> Again, which version?

See above.

>> Suggestions? Clearly something has been 'broken' during the update -
>> at least on Windows machines running MikTeX 2.9.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
> Thanks for reporting
> Philipp

Sure -- not sure what else to report.

I think the fact that mkluatexfontdb doesn't run - at all really - is
telling. Could it be a corruption of something on this one - updated -
system? Suggestions on what to look for?

Thanks.