[luatex] Italic correction for normal text with LuaLaTex

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sun Mar 11 18:48:46 CET 2012

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 04:27:29PM +0100, Bernhard Tempel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as Source2e states, the LaTeX font change commands with argument
> like \emph{foo} "automatically take care of any necessary italic
> correction
> on either side of the argument" ([1] The LaTeX2e sources
> [2011/06/27], p. 190). Using pdfTeX this works with some fonts like
> Latin Modern or MinionPro. Unfortunately with luaTeX italic
> correction in normal text seems not to work at all. Take a look at
> the minimal working example following.

The concept of italic correction does not exist in OpenType fonts (it is
a character propriety in TFM files, with no correspondence in OpenType),
so it will only work with TFM fonts.

"luaotfload" has an `itlc` option that would try to guess an italic
correction for glyphs when loading the fonts. I've no idea how reliable
is it.

Try \setmainfont[RawFeature={+itlc}]{Latin Modern Roman}, it seems to
make a noticeable improvement.

If you are using ConTeXt, Hans has some experimental features for
automatic italic correction, see
http://www.pragma-ade.com/preliminaries/hybrid-italics.pdf.

Regards,
 Khaled