[luatex] Should lualatex have pdflatex or xelatex compatibility?

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 15 12:24:52 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 10:36:13AM +0200, Dirk Laurie wrote:

> Here is an example where lualatex behaves like pdflatex when
> it would have been nicer to behave like xelatex.
>
> On the following file:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{hyperref,biblatex}
> \bibliography{refs}
> \begin{document}
> This is a Latex reference \cite{latex2012}.
> \end{document}
>
> lualatex produces this message:
>
> LuaTeX warning (dest): name{cite.0 at latex2012} has been referenced but does
> not exist, replaced by a fixed one
>
> Similarly, pdflatex:
>
> pdfTeX warning (dest): name{cite.0 at latex2012} has been referenced but does not
> exist, replaced by a fixed one
>
> Running the program a second time does not help.
>
> But xelatex:
>
> Package hyperref Warning: Rerun to get /PageLabels entry.
>
> and when running it a second time there is no warning.

These are complete different matters. XeTeX *needs* two runs
to get the page labels right. In pdfTeX or LuaTeX the
page label settings are done at the end of the compile run.
XeTeX (or TeX) do not provide the possibility to emit
\specials *after* the last DVI page. But *all* pages are
needed to know what \thepage for all pages look like.

Why there is a warning that a destination name is undefined,
I do not know, because it works for me without this warning
(biblatex 2011/11/13 v1.7).

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek