[luatex] FYI: visual debugging in LuaLaTeX

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 23 17:16:20 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 02:47:57PM +0100, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> > I hate to spoil the beauty of it with remarks, but I can't help it:
> > given that everything is done in Lua, I suppose, why does it require
> > LaTeX at all? Plain TeX users can definitely use that.
>
> I don't know how to get the output box when using plain :-) I guess the
> module should be called when inside \output{...}, right? I have not
> thought about making a plain TeX version of it, but why not?

You can still use atbegshi:

\input ifluatex.sty\relax
\ifluatex
  \input{atbegshi.sty}%
  \directlua{lvdebug = require("lua-visual-debug")}%
  \AtBeginShipout{\directlua{lvdebug.draw()}}%
  \AtBeginShipoutInit
\fi

Package atbegshi.sty only requires \newbox.
If \newbox is provided, then this can also be used with iniTeX.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek