[luatex] This might have been asked: UTF-8 input from plain TeX

Ingo Krabbe ikrabbe.ask at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 13:40:44 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:39:44AM +0100, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:09:58 +0100 schrieb Ingo Krabbe:
>
> > Ok, my further problem is, that I use the font-change package too, to
> > use the set of fonts from there, that map to pfb encoded fonts, of
> > course as they are formerly used with plain TeX.
> >
> > Isn't there a way to keep that fonts for my documents, that I don't need
> > to change the font sets and the visual output of the result?
>
> In theory yes, but it is not advisable. Beside the fact that you
> would have to make a lot of non-ascii input chars (like ß or €)
> active to map them to the correct positions in your fonts you could
> also get wrong hyphenations (the patterns assume unicode).
>
> If you want to switch to luatex you should also switch with the text
> fonts to open type fonts using unicode (math and symbols are a
> different matter, there the old type 1 fonts can still be used).

Yes, I understood this relationship now and consider this topic fixed.
The unicode math handling by the way, isn't quite clear to me yet, but
it works well with the old font mapping.

On the other hand I detected, that using unicode math, might drastically
reduce the size of the generated document.

Do you have some hints and to-be-reads to get started with unicode math
and plain TeX?

Please don't point me to latex techniques, such as unicode-math.sty. I
decided to render latex as useless, years ago and I'm still convinced of
my decision (not to be discussed).

regards

ingo