[luatex] This might have been asked: UTF-8 input from plain TeX

Ingo Krabbe ikrabbe.ask at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 14:37:49 CET 2012

Hi,

this might have been asked some times ago, or it might not, as the vast
crowd won't use enctex to write plain TeX files, but I do!

My keyboard contains about 100 keys, where a few of them are directly
known to break 7-bit ascii, such as öäüÖÄÜ€ß.

I know there are more, but my brain is too weak or too lazy to remember
all those alt_gr and shift+alt_gr kombinations to produce such nice
symbols as ¹²³¼½¬ ¡⅛£¤⅜ÆÐẞªŊ, mostly useless to TeX anyway.

As I don't like to read the sequences \"a,\"o,\ss{} — and so on — while editing
my texts, I learned to use enctex and use a little charmap:

\mubyte \adiaresis	^^c3^^a4\endmubyte % ä
\mubyte \odiaresis	^^c3^^b6\endmubyte % ö
\mubyte \udiaresis	^^c3^^bc\endmubyte % ü
\mubyte \Adiaresis	^^c3^^84\endmubyte % Ä
\mubyte \Odiaresis	^^c3^^96\endmubyte % Ö
\mubyte \Udiaresis	^^c3^^9c\endmubyte % Ü
\mubyte \szlig	^^c3^^9f\endmubyte % ß
\def\adiaresis{\"{a}}
\def\odiaresis{\"{o}}
\def\udiaresis{\"{u}}
\def\Adiaresis{\"{A}}
\def\Odiaresis{\"{O}}
\def\Udiaresis{\"{U}}
\def\szlig{\ss{}}
\mubytein=1 \mubytelog=1

So far, so easy.

Now I want to push my source code through luatex, to give it a try and
anythings works fine, but of course \mubyte does not work and simply
disabling my \input{mubytes.tex} include does not produce the right
output for those special chars from my UTF-8 encoded source file.

So what Do I need to do to make the step from producing the same output
from this source file:

\input mubytes.tex
\footline={}
This is an Umlaut Test: öäüÖÄÜß.
\vfill\eject\bye

(for luatex comment out or delete the first line, and plain pdftex, as I
use it, has to be initialized with -enc, of course, for this to work.)

tia
ingo

--
i don't do signatures