[luatex] The effect of \pardir on \leftskip versus \parshape

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Fri Dec 7 08:09:20 CET 2012

On 06/12/2012 22:42, Joseph Wright wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Playing around with RTL primitives, I find something a bit strange, or
> at least unexpected, with the treatment of paragraph parameters. In the
> following, "\pardir TRT" swaps the effect of \leftskip and \rightskip,
> which I can understand, but leaves the indent set up by \parshape on the
> 'absolute' left (\hangindent is the same). Is this deliberate, and if so
> is it documented (Omega manual?).

A bit more testing reveals that the place \parshape indents from is
controlled by \bodydir (or \pagedir: as previously mentioned, the two
need to be in synch), so

\pagedir TRT
\bodydir TRT

\pardir TLT % Redundant, but makes things clear here
\parshape 1 5 em 250 pt
Hello world. Hello world. Hello world. Hello world.
Hello world. Hello world. Hello world. Hello world.
Hello world. Hello world. Hello world. Hello world.
Hello world. Hello world. Hello world. Hello world.
Hello world. Hello world. Hello world. Hello world.
Hello world. Hello world. Hello world. Hello world.

\bye

indents from the right-hand margin.
--
Joseph Wright