[luatex] \font primitive does not read otf file

Petr Olsak petr at olsak.net
Thu Dec 6 18:14:48 CET 2012

> But if you prefer to create your own font loader...

I don't prefer to create my own font loader. The reason is the same as I
don't prefer to create my TeX the-program. I like to use this software on
the good documented level (which is The TeXbook, for example). Now, I am
finding the same good documented level of luacodes distributed by luaTeX.
The documentation of font loader, for example. I don't want to use *.sty
files because I am able to make these macro code much better and the
philosophy of these *.sty files are incompatible with philosophy of my
macro packages.

The documentation luaotfload.pdf seems to be not so stable and correct.
For example the fontfeature ``mode'' is documented by the following way:

: luaotfload has two OpenType processing modes; base and node. base mode
: works by mapping OpenType features to traditional TEX ligature and kern-
: ing mechanisms, thus supporting only non-contextual substitutions and
: kerning pairs...

but this does not work. On the other hand, the following works in luaTeX:

+tlig             ... ligatures --- to emdash type
script=latn       ... ligatures of fi, ffi type

and different features work in XeTeX:

mapping=tex-text  ... ligatures --- to emdash type
                   ... ligatures of fi type are working by default

None of them is documented. This is the result of my reverse engeneering
of luaotfload.sty (and 18 anotehr styles) and this makes my headache. The
luaotfload.sty developer used these information from somewhere. Where?

> you can find here simple font loader to start here:
> http://luatex.bluwiki.com/go/Use_a_TrueType_font
> Ulrike Fischer

You know that this is unusable because the fontfeatures are not working
with this code.

Petr Olsak