[luatex] libertineotf: reduce startup time?

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu Apr 5 15:05:06 CEST 2012

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 02:46:26PM +0200, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> > I'm creating a small document with
> >
> > \documentclass[a4paper]{article}
> > \usepackage{luatextra}
> > \defaultfontfeatures{Ligatures=TeX}
> > \usepackage{unicode-math}
> > \setmathfont{Latin Modern Math}
> > \usepackage{libertineotf}
> >
> > The startup-time of libertineotf is quite noticeable;
> > the machine "stops" for some seconds to load all the
> > cached font info (and this on a quite fast machine).
> >
> > Is there a way to reduce the startup time of using
> > libertine?
>
> I am aware of the problem and there is no way I know to reduce the
> load time. I've opened a ticket...

Ideally, fonts should not be loaded until they are used, but the
situation is even worse since, IIRC, fontspec loads each defined font
several times (with different options).

I think a package option to avoid loading some fonts (outline, display,
initials etc.) would help reducing load time a bit when those fonts are
not needed. Another option is to bypass fontspec completely and provide
.fd files (like LM ones in euenc package, for example), which might help
a bit.

Regards,
 Khaled