[luatex] Font not appearing in font.fonts table

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Wed Sep 28 20:08:09 CEST 2011

Am Wed, 28 Sep 2011 18:21:59 +0200 schrieb Yannis Haralambous:

> Vielen Dank Ulrike,

> so if I understand this correctly, the entries starting with file:
> are not necessary, after all the entries starting with name: have
> an attribute "filename" which gives the file name which is
> afterwards loaded by luatex?

As far as I understand it, "file:.." and "name:..." simply describe
which syntax has been used to call/define the font
(\font\test="file:..." versus \font\file="name:...." see
documentation of luaotfload)

> I need to add a hook to the define font callback register so that
> whenever a font from the Latin Modern Roman font family is
> loaded, I immediately create a virtual font (using a second real
> font, found on disk) and provide that virtual font to luatex.

> 1) can I do this? In other words: can my new virtual font be used
> by luatex exactly as if it were lmroman10-roman.otf?

Perhaps, or even quite probably. There are a lot of hooks where you
can manipulate fonts. But I don't know the details. Some month ago I
played a bit around with virtual fonts as I wanted to reencode
chessfonts but then stopped.

The problem was that the font loader code in luaotfload.sty used by
lualatex is based on code in context but it is not in sync and the
context code changes constantly. This means that some manipulations
worked only with the newest context code other only with the current
(official) luaotfload or with the unstable branch and if in some
near feature luaotfload.sty gets updated to use the newest context
code things can break. Also there is no real user interface for such
manipulations and hardly any documentation on the internals of the
(context) font loader.

--
Ulrike Fischer