[luatex] LuaLaTeX problems with Hebrew

Daron Wilson daron.wilson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 18:26:04 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm slowly making my way into TeX stuff in general, and I've been experimenting with XeTeX for a while. I'm trying out LuaTeX mostly because I'm interested in some of the micro typing features (I have no idea what do do with the "Lua" part at this point).

I'm having trouble getting Hebrew to work correctly through fontspec (I have been under the impression that LuaLaTeX can be used through fontspec, though I may be mistaken).

With the minimal document below, LuaLaTex will not typeset the Hebrew right to left as expected. The individual letters are typeset correctly, but in reverse order from the input. I've tried adding "Language=Hebrew" and "Script=Hebrew" but nothing seems to work. I've tried with and without the luaotfload package (not sure whether that should be there or not).

I suspect I've just plain missed something simple, but I'm not seeing it. The document below works perfectly with XeLaTeX, and I've attached a pdf showing both the reversed LuaLaTeX output I see, and the expected output I get with XeLaTeX.

I'm using MacTeX 2011 on OS X Lion (though I experience the same issue with MacTeX 2010 on Snow Leopard also).

LuaTeX, Version beta-0.70.1-2011062107 (rev 4277)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated,

Regards,

Daron

\documentclass{article}

%\usepackage{luaotfload}

\usepackage{fontspec} \newfontfamily\H{Times New Roman}
\newcommand{\heb}[1]{{\H #1}}

\begin{document}

\heb{תוֹלְדוֹת} and \heb{אֵלֶּה} and \heb{וַיֹּאמֶר}

\end{document}