[luatex] ligatures with luaotfload

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sat Oct 8 19:42:29 CEST 2011

On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 06:55:01PM +0200, Javier Múgica de Rivera wrote:
> I have used the luaotfload package for the first time, and worte the
> following code in order to do so:
>
> %def\otffont#1=#2 at{\font#1={#2: mode=base;tlig;trep} at}
> \def\otffont#1=#2 at{\font#1={#2: mode=node;tlig;trep} at}
>
> \otffont\tenrm=LMRoman10-Regular at 10pt
>
> The font appears to be right at first sight but looking closer I see
> that kerning and ligatures are missing. How can that be solved?

I don't know what version of luaotfload you are using, but in some old
versions you had to explicitly enable each feature you want.

> Another issue is the tlig and trep substitutions. If I write
> ``hello'', I get the right output if I use the node mode, but if I use
> the base mode I have to remove the trep option in order to get it
> right, otherwise what I get is two consecutive single-left-quotes. It
> seems that the package in base mode first applies the option trep,
> replacing the each ` with a quote, and then tlig is useless since the
> couple `` of original input characters is already gone. Since I
> perceived no differences between base and node modes I simply switched
> to node mode.

tlig and trep are essentially broken by design, they are removed
altogether from the unstable branch, I'm not sure if there will ever be
a replacement in luaotfload so you would better find a different way to
input typographic quotes.

Regards,
 Khaled

--