[luatex] accented characters in plain luatex

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon May 30 23:04:47 CEST 2011

On Monday, May 30, 2011 10:54:40 am Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Mon, 30 May 2011 10:33:25 -0400 schrieb John Culleton:
> > I have a plain luatex file where I am indeed using \' and \` to get
acute
> > and grave accents. The font in use is the TeX version of Palladio. The
> > file compiles but the accents don't appear in the pdf. In Gvim I set
the
> > fontencoding to
> >
> >:set fileencoding=utf-8
> >:
> > but that doesn't help, perhaps because I am using a traditional Type 1
> > font for my body font (I have a truetype script font for headings,
hence
> > luatex instead of pdftex.)
>
> \' and \` are pure ascii input so the file encoding doesn't matter.
>
> What matters are the definitions of the commands, the encoding of
> your fonts, how you are loading the fonts and other informations you
> are not giving.
As previously stated I am using the Tex version of Palladio. It is loaded
by these statements:
\font\rm pplr8r at 10bp
\font\it pplri8r at 10bp
etc.

I also load a Truetype font in several different sizes but that should not
affect the body text. To get to that font I use:
\input luaotfload.sty
\font\lll={CHOPS___.TTF} at 48bp
\font\lk={CHOPS___.TTF} at 36bp
\font\hl={CHOPS___.TTF} at 16bp
\font\head={CHOPS___.TTF} at 26bp
etc.

In short except fo the script font I am using statements as I would use
them in pdftex. I am setting up accents as I would in every version of TeX
I have ever used. But luatex is apparently different.

-
-
John Culleton
Wexford Press