[luatex] \U*spacing and pointer

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Sat May 21 10:13:58 CEST 2011

Le 20/05/2011 10:38, luigi scarso a écrit :
> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 6:48 AM, Paul Isambert<zappathustra at free.fr>  wrote:
>
>> That's not the answer I expected, Luigi.
> I understand.
>
>> I was rather expecting something
>> along the lines of: YES YOU'RE RIGHT! EVERYBODY TO THE WIKI!
> Yes, and it's not my point of view.
> Let's say that between wikipedia and
> scholarpedia  I choose the last one, at least until now and for luatex
> (for  LuaLaTeX and ConTeXt MkIV things are different).
> And, following this way,  I find natural  to see you  as a kind of
> editor/reviewer of contributions
> (as a sort of PractTeX journal but for wiki) and maybe even stimulate
> selected contributors.

Me?
Well, no thank you. Not that I dislike Scholarpedia and have faith in
the ``true democracy'' of Wikipedia, but simply the wiki is not mine and
I don't want it to be.

The thing is I believe people willing to write for the wiki are advanced
users anyway. So by advertising the wiki here I am kind of stimulating
selected contributors, because well-informed people post here. There are
also questions by not-so-advanced users, but I doubt they'll want to
write for the wiki; but if they do, that might still be a valid
contribution (actually it would be encouraging: no need to be a wizard
to profit from LuaTeX). Comprehensive articles on a subject are one
thing, small pages with simple things are another, of no less value.

Anyway I will correct/edit articles if necessary, but as an ordinary
user (not an editor).

>> Kind of trying to advertise the thing a little bit :)
>> --
>> TIME MAGAZINE'S PERSON OF THE YEAR: THE LUATEX WIKI (http://wiki.luatex.org)
>>
> Again, I understand and in some sense it's true ---
> my talk at EuroTeX meeting was about "here the news: LuaTeX. Look at
> what you can do with it".  I'm still following this way, but it's not
> strictly about LuaTeX, it's more about applications (and I feel
> comfortable with MkIV, then).

I have encouraged articles to be low-level and to ignore formats. Since
I am *not* an editor but just a user, this point of view can be
disagreed with, or even ignored altogether. So anything dealing with
LuaTeX is welcome on the wiki, even though some loud-mouthed plain TeX
user (i.e. me) says otherwise. (Let's recall that the wiki was set up by
Taco in the first place, then populated by Patrick with articles from
bluwiki.)

What I wonder sometimes is whether wikis work for TeX; mailing lists or
similar are quite active, but the only wiki I know of is ConTeXt garden,
and I'd like to know if it is much read or not.
Perhaps TeX works better with big comprehensive books + fast Q&A (i.e.
mailing lists), but perhaps I'm completely wrong here.

Best,
Paul