[luatex] How to color unicode combinging characters.

Simo Ojala smsojala at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 21:25:11 CET 2011

Hi,

I am really just taking my first steps in TeX world, so forgive me my
ignorance. However I already have this quite advanced coloring problem and
I have read and been told that LuaTeX might be able to solve this kind of
stuff. So thats why I try to ask this here, hopefully found the right
place to post this kind of problem...

I am trying to create some ancient hebrew inflection charts and the
problem is to be able to paint vowels (and other diacritics) without
changing color of the consonants they are combined with. (The vowels are
unicode combining characters which are positioned according to and
combined with consonants.) I already have got some suggestions that I
could do some thing like this:

\textcolor{red}{a}\textcolor{blue}{b} % where 'a' represents a consonant
and 'b' a vowel

However this leads to situation where the characters are not actually
combined, but just placed separately to the document. That it turn leads
to positioning problems and other bad stuff.

Thanks,

Simo Ojala

PS: If I failed explaining my problem clearly enough, please checkout
my question at TeX/Stackexchange.

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/13069/coloring-combining-characters-without-changing-color-of-a-base-character