[luatex] Optical Sizes of Adobe Utopia Std Bold

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Wed Mar 2 02:01:53 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 06:23:13AM -0500, Andy Lin wrote:
> Hi,
> I just started using LuaLaTeX for the first time this week (texlive
> 2010) and I've run into a problem. Below is a minimal example:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \usepackage{graphics}
> \setmainfont{Utopia Std}
> \begin{document}
> \noindent\resizebox{!}{24pt}{\fontsize{24}{28}\selectfont k \textbf{k}
> \textit{k} \textbf{\textit{k}}}\\
> \resizebox{!}{24pt}{\fontsize{16}{28}\selectfont k \textbf{k}
> \textit{k} \textbf{\textit{k}}}\\
> \resizebox{!}{24pt}{\fontsize{10}{28}\selectfont k \textbf{k}
> \textit{k} \textbf{\textit{k}}}\\
> \resizebox{!}{24pt}{\fontsize{8}{28}\selectfont k \textbf{k}
> \textit{k} \textbf{\textit{k}}}
> \end{document}
>
> If this is processed with lualatex, the bold 24-point k is typeset
> with Utopia Std Bold Caption when it is supposed to be typeset with
> Utopia Std Bold Display. Oddly enough, all the other characters have
> the correct optical size font. Using xelatex, this problem does not
> occur. (I've attached the output for both and the log for the luatex
> run.)
>
> I've tried clearing the lua font cache in texmf-var and running
> mkluatexfontdb with the -f switch.
>
> When I look at the log, I find this:
>
> luaotfload | load font: auto-selecting default features for script: dflt (was l
> atn)
> luaotfload | load font: font family='utopiastd', subfamily='regular' found: uto
> piastd-disp.otf(load: D:/texlive/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic/fonts/otf/temp-
> utopiastd-disp.lua)
> luaotfload | load font: auto-selecting default features for script: dflt (was l
> atn)
> luaotfload | load font: font family='utopiastd', subfamily='bold' found: utopia
> std-boldcapt.otf(load: D:/texlive/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic/fonts/otf/temp
> -utopiastd-boldcapt.lua)
> luaotfload | load font: auto-selecting default features for script: dflt (was l
> atn)
> luaotfload | load font: font family='utopiastd', subfamily='italic' found: utop
> iastd-dispit.otf(load: D:/texlive/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic/fonts/otf/temp
> -utopiastd-dispit.lua)
> luaotfload | load font: auto-selecting default features for script: dflt (was l
> atn)
> luaotfload | load font: font family='utopiastd', subfamily='bolditalic' found:
> utopiastd-bolddispit.otf(load: D:/texlive/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic/fonts/
> otf/temp-utopiastd-bolddispit.lua)
>
> When luaotfload loads the fonts for the first line, it selects the
> Display size for the other three characters, but selects the Caption
> size for the bold character. Is this a fontspec problem? Or is there
> something wrong with my luatex setup?

Hard to tell without having the fonts, but can you first check with
plain, e.g.:

\input luaotfload.sty
\font\testa="Utopia Std/B/S=24" at 10pt
\font\testb="Utopia Std/B/S=16" at 10pt
\font\testc="Utopia Std/B/S=10" at 10pt
\font\testd="Utopia Std/B/S=8"  at 10pt
\testa k
\testb k
\testc k
\testd k
\bye

And see if you get the same issue (testing with xetex can help
excluding font bugs).

Regards,
 Khaled

--