[luatex] setting lccode "automatically"

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Thu Jun 23 13:23:55 CEST 2011

Am 23.06.2011 um 13:06 schrieb Taco Hoekwater:

>>> Well, in this particular example, there is ... U+1E9E ! :) :)
>>
>> No, the capital ß is not the uppercase version of ß. SpecialCasing.txt has
>
> I think you missed the smileys.

Those weren't ;-) smileys, right? ;-)

>>> You do not happen to be bored and looking for something interesting
>>> to do in the coming few weeks, by any chance?
>>
>> The casing algorithms are already implemented in the ICU library (and probably in other libraries as well).
>
> Sure, but that does not help luatex, does it? I, for one, am not going
> to wade through the ICU sources trying to extract an algorithm that
> is fairly easy to implement based on the actual specification.

Where do you want these algorithms actually? I think for case conversion user should just ignore \lowercase etc. and use a (to-be-written) Lua wrapper to ICU (icu4lua seems to be dormant and includes only a tiny fraction of ICU). Hyphenation is another story, but I think it has to be rethought anyway (multistage hyphenation, composed words, dictionary-based algorithms, locale-tailored algorithms etc.). Unfortunately I'm not aware of a good free hyphenation library.