[luatex] dump a tfm to a file

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Tue Jun 21 09:50:49 CEST 2011

Am Mon, 20 Jun 2011 19:19:58 +0200 schrieb Patrick Gundlach:

> Am 20.06.2011 um 18:21 schrieb Ulrike Fischer:
>

>> Do someone know if and how I could dump the "virtual" tfm of a font
>> like Arial or another system font to a file?

> ttf2tfm - build TeX metric files from a TrueType font

Hm. I was so concentrated on looking for a luatex solution that I
didn't consider the standard tools. I will check ttf2tfm and otf2tfm
but I fear they will generate only tfm's with the standard maximum
of 256 character.

>> table or something like this but really a "normal" tfm file (apart
>> from the fact that it will contain more chars).

> I am pretty sure a tfm file can only hold 256 chars. So you need an encoding.

I know that normal tfm's should contain only 256 chars. But after
all a tfm is more or less only a long list of
 (CHARACTER <number>
  (CHARWD ...)).

So I don't see a logical reason why one shouldn't be able to
generate a large tfm with the informations of more characters (and
luatex is generating large "virtual tfm" with metrics information).

I want to try out if tex4ht can handle such large, unstandard tfm's
or if it has built-in a hard 256 barrier.

--
Ulrike Fischer