[luatex] Getting macro expansions from Lua

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Thu Jun 2 19:49:15 CEST 2011

Le 02/06/2011 12:25, Christophe Jorssen a écrit :
> 2011/6/2 Paul Isambert<zappathustra at free.fr>:
>
>> I wanted to try some hack with token.create/token.expand, but I found that:
>>
>> \def\A{1}
>> \directlua{
>>   local A = token.create("A")
>>   token.expand(A)
>> }
>>
>> produces an "Undefined control sequence" error. Which is all the more
>> surprising as if the token is fed to TeX in the token_filter callback, as in
>> the stupid example below, the control sequence is fine:
>>
>> \def\A{1}
>> \directlua{
>> callback.register("token_filter",
>>   function ()
>>     callback.register("token_filter", nil)
>>     return token.create("A")
>>   end)
>> }
>>
>> Have I misunderstood something or should I pay a visit to the bug tracker?
> I did exactly the same thing (well, the first part, I don't understand
> the second with the callback yet...) and got the same error but I felt
> ashamed of posting it here thinking I may have missed something
> trivial. So thank you Paul :-)

You're welcome. But nobody should refrain from posting here, even simple
questions (which aren't necessarily so trivial as they seem) can be
answered.

> By the way, I would highly appreciate some basic usage examples ot the
> token_filter callback and the token library.

If you're a TUG member, you can have a look at my paper in the last
TUGboat: https://www.tug.org/members/TUGboat/tb32-1/tb100isambert.pdf.
Note that the example of use is pretty stupid, you can do things much
more easily with tex.print (something I realized only later in a post by
Ulrike on this list).

Anyway, I'll try to write something in the wiki, although I don't have
any convincing example of use (I haven't investigated the matter much).

Best,
Paul