[luatex] setupbackend in lualatex?

Johannes Wilm mail at johanneswilm.org
Wed Jul 20 12:41:43 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:31 AM, Patrick Gundlach <patrick at gundla.ch> wrote:

> Am 20.07.2011 um 11:22 schrieb Ulrike Fischer:
>
> > Am Tue, 19 Jul 2011 21:57:08 -0700 schrieb Johannes Wilm:
> >
> >> Hey,
> >> I have had issues with converting latex to epub/html/mobipocket for
> years. I
> >> started using lualatex some months ago and it works quite well for all
> my
> >> other purposes.
> >>
> >> Today I then stumbled over the \setupbackend which is available in
> Context
> >> and which allows for HTML/epub to be produced easily by using some lua
> code.
> >> Now as I understand it, given that lualatex uses the same binary and hat
> the
> >> conversion likely happens by first letting the binary read the entire
> DOM
> >> and then exporting it, it seems that the same scripts really should work
> for
> >> lualatex as well, right?
> >
> > Theoretically: yes.
>
> There is a little bit more to it, though it can be simulated otherwise. For
> example with ConTeXt you have more structured sectioning commands. I don't
> remember what it was but something like
>
> \startsection
> \stopsection
>
> where in LaTeX you have \section{...}, but when does the section end? Is it
> always clear?

So you are saying that the binary, after reading a latex file, isn't quite
aware of the DOM-structure of the file, while after reading a Context-file
it is?

It seems that this information is less needed when building an HTML-file
instead of a PDF. I mean, it needs to do something like chapter-heading ->
H1, but after that it couldn't care less about whether or not that chapter
ends.

I will look at the sources you mentioned.

--
Johannes Wilm
http://www.johanneswilm.org