[luatex] tex.linebreak() and detection of overfull box?

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Jan 11 10:41:28 CET 2011

On 01/11/2011 10:06 AM, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use tex.linebreak() to break text into lines. Now I'd like to
> detect if there has been an overfull hbox in order to re-format the
> paragraph with different parameters.

Vboxes do not keep track of overfull horizontal boxes, they only
care about the vertical direction. tex.linebreak() returns a
table containing some information about the created paragraph,
and the 'demerits' key in that may be helpful. Otherwise, you
need to do a traversal of the vlist's contents.

Best wishes,
Taco