[luatex] lua transliterations on the fly

Luis Rivera jlrn77 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 19:16:50 CET 2011

On 7 January 2011 07:17, Ulrike Fischer <luatex at nililand.de> wrote:
> Am Fri, 7 Jan 2011 11:38:26 +0100 schrieb Philipp Stephani:
>
>> BTW, you should _not_ do something like replacing ^c by ĉ. If you
>> want ĉ, type ĉ. Use a keyboard layout that contains that
>> character, an input method, or some auto-correction function of
>> your text editor, but don't transform text while processing.
>
> In general I agree, but there are some cases where I prefer not to
> input the real char. -- and --- are such cases. Even if – and —
> where easier to input on my keyboard: I have difficulties to
> distinguish -, – and — in my editor(s).
>
> Btw: I think this type of "fake ligatures" (-- to –) could be used
> for the translation discussed here. One would naturally have to
> enable ^ in text mode (along the way _ is enable with
> underscore.sty). The translation could then be enabled by font
> switches.

The Greek input encoding in cbgreek, lfb and ibycus fonts use the
ligature system from Metafont to implement the transliterations; a
similar approach is done with the virtual fonts of bgreek: so I am
very keen on understanding how ligatures work in LuaTeX. A reference
to a primer on this subject is surely welcome.

Thanks,

--
Luis Rivera
O< http://www.asciiribbon.org/ campaign