[luatex] The LuaTeXbook

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Mon Jan 3 14:36:13 CET 2011

Am 02.01.2011 um 22:51 schrieb site4000 at free.fr:

> -The program you propose is maybe a good way to learn deeply LuaTeX but you found this program because you have already read all the stuff about TeX and successors but what about newcommers ?

It depends on what they want to do. I suppose very few newcomers want to do low-level LuaTeX programming. If you want to use a LuaTeX-based system for typesetting, you should rather read the manuals of ConTeXt Mk IV or (for LuaLaTeX) Manuel's introduction (texdoc lualatex). My list (which is not very elaborate btw) is intended for people who want to apply knowledge from the LuaTeX reference. Most of them are experienced LaTeX or ConTeXt users and/or programmers; and many know already a bit about TeX programming. A complete newcomer (i.e., somebody who has never seen a TeX-based typesetting system before) should not start with LuaTeX programming anyway.
As the others said, a complete book about every detail of LuaTeX would be nearly impossible and would hardly make sense—comparable to a book that describes every aspect of operating systems, from bootloaders to UI.