[luatex] installing luatex betas

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Feb 27 02:36:56 CET 2011

On 2011-02-26 at 22:41:21 +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

 > What is the size of luatex executable?

Executables shipped with TeX Live or provided by the LuaTeX team are
statically linked.  Linux distributors prefer dynamic linking, hence
the sizes of executables are certainly different.

I'm convinced that you get different sizes with different C-compilers
(or even different versions of GCC).  ...not to mention different
platforms.

If something doesn't work as expected, I recommend to install the
"authentic" LuaTeX and compare the results with the Fedora version.

However, the result of "luatex --version" is more reliable than the
size of the executable.  And maybe the output of

  ldd `which luatex`

is quite helpful too.

Regards,
  Reinhard