[luatex] installing luatex betas

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 22:41:21 CET 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 17:41, Jose <jmalv04 at gmail.com> wrote:

> For option 2 I've installed the following:
>
> texlive-collection-luatex-2011-0.1.svn20423.fc14.noarch
> texlive-collection-basic-2011-0.1.svn20730.fc14.noarch
> texlive-collection-context-2011-0.1.svn19939.fc14.noarch
>
> 1. luatex simple.tex works OK
>
> 2. I am trying to compile the file below with context t.tex
> -------------------
> \starttext
> aha!
> \stoptext
> -------------------
>
> I get this output:
>
> FontForge does not support your encoding (utf8), it will pretend the
> local encoding is latin1
> MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
>
> (even if I run luatools --generate)
>
> What I eventually want to do is just compile ConTeXt files with
> embedded Lua (/startluacode and /stopluacode)
>
> So your answer helps me advance but I still don't understand:
>
> 1) Why FontForrge does not support utf8 ?

What is the size of luatex executable?

I don't know Fedora well enough, but it is possible that they took
their own version of fontforge library, while luatex has a modified
version of FontForge (blind guess, I don't know anything about it).

> 2) How can I generate context.lua ?

My blind guess is that ConTeXt configuration has not been properly
adapted for the way Fedora packages its TeX Live distribution. ConTeXt
has to find texmfcnf.lua. Once it does it tries to respect it, but I
guess that the file has not been modified like texmf.cnf. It is
possible that:
- ConTeXt doesn't find the file at all.
- Even if it finds it, it doesn't help unless file is properly adapted.

You may try to send texmf.cnf and texmfcnf.lua from your Fedora to
ConTeXt mailing list (also write where you have binaries and where you
have texmf trees), but you might need to talk to Fedora developers as
well.

Mojca