[luatex] Behavior of slnunicode.utf8.match().

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Tue Aug 9 20:35:45 CEST 2011

schrieb Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard:

> As far as I remember, the conclusion of the thread was that yes,
> this is strange and hardly consistent (or a least you need some
> education about what kind of consistency to expect, see below),

The paragraph Paul referred to in the OP was adapted during the
discussion in an attempt (by me) to describe the inconsistent behaviour.
 Obviously, that description still doesn't cover all cases where
slnunicode goes byte-centric.  I'll try to come up with a better
description, if no-one beats me to that (probably not before the end of
this month).

> My personal, certainly flawed, recollection of the design principle
> is that for length and counting, the unit is always the byte, whereas
> for the rest the working unit is the (possibly multibyte) character.

Sounds good (and more general), except that I'd replace 'length' by
'position', because I think unicode.utf8.len is indeed UTF-8 aware (but
I didn't check now).

To cite the last sentence from the current paragraph:

> The slnunicode library will be replaced by an internal Unicode
> library in a future LuaTeX version.

Taco, can you give a guess about the number of that "future LuaTeX version"?

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig