[luatex] combining files with pure LuaTeX

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Sun Sep 26 20:23:08 CEST 2010

On 09/26/2010 04:32 PM, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> Arthur Reutenauer<arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org>  wrote:
>
>>    The answer will probably come as a disappointment to you, but this is
>> not one of the tasks LuaTeX is designed for.  It's not a general
>> PDF-editing program.  It is of course possible to do what you want using
>> LuaTeX, but higher-level typesetting systems like LaTeX or ConTeXt are
>> much better suited for that, and it's not directly related to LuaTeX,
>> pdfTeX is enough (LaTeX users, for example, are usually advised to use
>> the pdfpages package, that works well with pdfTeX).
>
> i imagined as much, but my toes are hardly damp, as yet, from dabbling
> in luatex.
>
> an alternative _might_ be pdftk (google for it).

Thanks for your reply, Robin.

AFAIK pdftk enables multipage PDF documents, but no stamping an image on
a page.

> i'm concerned about the assertion that there's no possibility of
> anything other than luatex on the system in question.  that speaks to me
> of an embedded system, and beta-release software such as luatex is _not_
> something i would choose to embed, stable though it may be.

The reason is too simple.

The computer that I have to use isn't mine. I don't have administrator
rights under Windows XP (and I don't want to ask for them). All files
must be deleted after the operation. I could install a TeX distribution
locally, but not for a operation that might happen once a week. And the
scripting abilities are also needed.

> robin the luatex neophyte.

Thanks for your help,

Pablo