[luatex] Bug involving rubber lengths

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Oct 19 17:24:37 CEST 2010

On 10/19/2010 04:09 PM, Robin Fairbairns wrote:

>>> That makes luatex incompatible with tex/pdftex/xetex because "l" is a separate keyword that can be separated by spaces:
>>>
>>> a\hskip 0pt plus 1fIl L la
>>> \bye
>>
>> I wonder how many users depend on/use that feature.
>
> trip test?

Yes. Then again, that fails in myriad small ways, nor does it test
any of the new code, so I have not paid any attention to it so far.
The trip test failures are something to evaluate in the step from
luatex 0.9 to 1.0.

In general though, to anybody who wants all of the idiosyncrasies
of TeX82 to be retained a 100%:

   luatex is not for you.

Some of TeX82's behaviors are just too obscure to be transfered to
a program whose internals are supposed to be extensible and accessible
(and the "l" keyword is one of those).

Best wishes,
Taco