[luatex] Hyphenation in plain TeX

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri Oct 8 15:54:09 CEST 2010

Le 08/10/2010 15:14, Vladimir Lomov a écrit :
> Thanks. I looked at them. But could luatex use the same
> unicode-letters.tex?

Not directly, but with minor changes, yes.

Actually, I prepared an adapted version, and baring objections or failing tests
(by others), it will be in TL tomorrow, and loaded by default in luatex-based
formats, which means (dvi)lua(la)tex.

> if could then this makes luatex to work with
> accented letters as well as cyrillic (and other?).

I tested with the examples you send to lualatex-dev a while ago, and it works.
At least, some hyphenation happens, and visual inspection shows no difference
with xelatex's output.

By the way:
- sorry for not replying earlier to this message;
- thanks for providing us with usable test files.

> Don't get the idea. As ordinary user (and wokring with more ordinary
> users) I think that it is best if all would work (even if format file is
> big).

The size of the format is not an issue IMO, and I agree that most things (if not
everything) should work OOTB.

The issue that delayed the solution to the lccode/hyphenation problem was that
there are larger plans about making unicode character properties available from
lua (as context does), discussion about the best way to use it, etc. The
solution I commited is suboptimal in several ways, but I think (hope) it is Good
Enough© for now.

(We have a saying in French: "Un bon tiens vaut mieux que deux tu l'auras.")

Manuel.