[luatex] Hyphenation in plain TeX

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 11:01:22 CEST 2010

Hi Mojca.
** Mojca Miklavec [2010-10-08 10:54:42 +0200]:

> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 10:49, Vladimir Lomov wrote:
>> ** Khaled Hosny [2010-10-08 10:21:17 +0200]:
>>
>>> The \uccode/\lccode is not set for anything but ASCII (or whatever TeX
>>> engine internally have), XeTeX sets it for the entire Unicode charset
>>> in the format, but we don't yet for LuaTeX, so any hyphenation requiring
>>> characters outside ASCII will not work out of box (or at least this is
>>> my understanding).
>> AFAIK, ASCII is 7-bit encoding so neither German nor French don't fir
>> into ASCII.
>
> Sure, but in German or French it's only "every tenth" letter that is
> problematic, so TeX will still hyphenate somewhere using the remaining
> nine ascii ones. It will definitely miss many allowed hyphenations,
> but it will still look OK. While in Russian it is every single letter
> that lacks lccode setting, so you won't get any hyphenation at all
> unless you set those codes.
Yeh, seems I get it. I'll try to check how some French or German  words
are hyphenated but I think you're right. So know I need the whole
\lccode lines (I read you other message). Ok, I'll try and report about
results.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Double Bucky, you're the one,
You make my keyboard so much fun,

Oh, I sure wish that I,
Had a couple of bits more!
Perhaps a set of pedals to make the number of bits four.

Double Double Bucky!  Double Bucky left and right
OR'd together, outta sight!
Double Bucky, I'd like a whole word of,
Double Bucky, I'm happy I heard of,
Double Bucky, I'd like a whole word of you!
		-- to Nicholas Wirth, who suggested that an extra bit
		be added to terminal codes on 36-bit machines for use
		by screen editors.  [to the tune of "Rubber Ducky"]