[luatex] Hyphenation in plain TeX

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 10:51:02 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 10:21, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 05:03:55PM +0900, Vladimir Lomov wrote:
>> Hi Mojca!
>>
>> > To hyphenate Russian, one would need to fix something in
>> > luatex/lualatex formats first.
>> Hm, could you explain a little what the problem is? With font encodings?
>> After all, these languages are work fine in context (actually mkiv).
>
> The \uccode/\lccode is not set for anything but ASCII (or whatever TeX
> engine internally have), XeTeX sets it for the entire Unicode charset
> in the format, but we don't yet for LuaTeX, so any hyphenation requiring
> characters outside ASCII will not work out of box (or at least this is
> my understanding).

Just to give an example ...

In some loaders we have (the example is taken from Sanskrit):

    % Set \lccode for ZWNJ and ZWJ.
    \lccode"200C="200C
    \lccode"200D="200D
    % Set \lccode for KANNADA SIGN JIHVAMULIYA and KANNADA SIGN UPADHMANIYA.
    \lccode"0CF1="0CF1
    \lccode"0CF2="0CF2

Alternatively you can also write characters instead of hexadecimal
numbers. For example, for German you do need:

	\lccode`ä=`ä
	\lccode`ö=`ö
	\lccode`ü=`ü
	\lccode`ß=`ß
	\lccode`Ä=`ä
	\lccode`Ö=`ö
	\lccode`Ü=`ü

but it probably still hyphenates somehow without those. If you want to
hyphenate russian, you need to provide \lccode command for every
letter of Russian alphabet, both for uppercase and lowercase letters
(they need to point to lowercase).

This should be fixed in format one day though, but if you want to use
it now, this is what you need to do ...

Mojca