[luatex] Strange hyphenation

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sun Oct 3 19:27:33 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm aware that the problem of activating Italian patterns on Taco's machine is
solved, but anyway, just for the record:

Le 03/10/2010 14:52, enrico.gregorio at univr.it a écrit :
> On TeX Live all known languages are always enabled by default. It's probably sufficient
> to uncomment the relevant line in "language.dat" and say
>
> tlmgr generate language.dat.lua
>
> since lualatex doesn't dump hyphenation patterns in the format, AFAIK.

This is incorrect for two reasons:

1. language.dat.lua is not generated from language.dat: both are generated from
the information in texlive.tlpdb & local files language-local.dat(.lua). See the
"generate" section in tlmgr's manual for details. Also, it is strongly
recommended not to edit language.dat manually, as stated in the comments:

% DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE (language.dat)! It is generated by tlmgr.

2. Lualatex doesn't dump patterns themselves in the format any more, but it
still stores the list of languages available for babel. So, formats still need
to be rebuild after changing this list. This limitation will be removed in the
future, but I'm unlikely to act on it before a few months.

Manuel.