[luatex] Building LuaTeX.

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Sat Oct 2 10:16:22 CEST 2010

  Le 02/10/2010 00:27, luigi scarso a écrit :
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Paul Isambert<zappathustra at free.fr>  wrote:
>>
>> It works, and I have it. Now, if only context could produce the output file
>> in the same directory as the source,
> This is the normal behaviour, otherwise there is something wrong in
> your build -- or I have not understood  your problem.
>
> Actually I have the following problems with my build
> 1) mkiv format is regenerated at every run -- it's not normal
> 2) if I don't have MinGW on my PATH, then luatex.exe  doesn't work

My problem must definitely be simpler than that, since I use the version
of LuaTeX shipped with the minimals. When I do

 > context test.tex

test.pdf ends up somewhere very remote instead of just next to the source.

As for your problem, if I replace the LuaTeX engine with the one built
from the source, then a format error ensues (``I'm stymied''), which is
strange enough since both versions are 0.63; and if I use texexec --lua
--make all, then I wind up with apparently the same situation as yours:
the format is rebuilt at every run.

Otherwise, I do indeed need the MinGW on the PATH for LuaTeX to work
properly when built from source. More precisely,  LuaTeX needs access to
the two dlls mentioned before.

>> [I know this is not the ConTeXt list, but a new ConTeXt user, however
>> unsteady, is always good news, huh? Plus I've just noticed the moon was
>> circling the earth in the bottom corners of the LuaTeX ref's pages, which I
>> find incredibly, well, err, ConTeXtually cute. As in it's so cute, with a
>> giggle.]
> I'm sure that your  "ConTeXtual experiments" will be really appreciate.
> You can also show them on your wiki pages: just register at
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Main_Page

Thanks for the invitation. For the moment, I'm more likely to be a
ctx-garden reader rather than writer, unless you want the site's quality
to decrease dramatically.

> A kind of psychedelic page
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Luigi.scarso/luatex_lunatic
Oh no. After I've convinced myself I should learn and use Lua instead of
sticking neurotically to TeX, now what? Python? You're telling me I
should venture in yet an unknown realm? An unknown language? It's
Pentecost everyday in LuaTeX!

The results are impressive, though. I don't know if it makes any kind of
sense, but Python + graphs make me think of
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/, which I've never tested.

Best,
Paul