[luatex] fontspec prevents hyphenation

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Tue Nov 23 21:08:38 CET 2010

Le 23/11/2010 20:57, Ulrike Fischer a écrit :
> Am Tue, 23 Nov 2010 18:43:55 +0100 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 16:08, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>
>>> I can't test this as ngerman is unknown to plain luatex (and I have
>>> no idea how to enable it).
>
>> You could just as well use "german" instead (I wasn't paying
>> attention), but do you want to say that "ngerman" works in lualatex,
>> but not in plain luatex? Since that would be weird.
>
> Well I never cared for hyphenation in plain. But now I looked: plain
> inputs a hyphen.tex. This hyphen.tex contains some pattern and
> that's all. Language.dat is not used and there is also no
> luatex-adapted version of hyphen.tex. So luatex and etex both
> complain for every language:
>
> ! e-TeX error: language german undefined..
> \et at xmsg ...lines =0 \errmessage {e-TeX error: #2}

This may be dependant on the distribution, but in TeX Live, Plain-based formats
for any engine but TeX82 all are based on etex.src, which expands on plain.tex
and in particular, overrides its loading of hyphenation patterns and implements
an extended scheme for language loading and switching, using language.def.

For LuaTeX, a modified version of etex.src is used, and a specific
language.def.lua file is generated with language.def (and language.dat(.lua)),
so patterns are dynamically loaded (but languages are still statically
allocated), just as with latex/babel.

Manuel.