[luatex] luainputenc and inputenc

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri Nov 5 03:13:01 CET 2010

Hi,

Sorry I'm replying so lately...

Le 16/10/2010 14:37, Philipp Stephani a écrit :
> luainputenc is only for lualatex. If you want to compile with pdflatex, use inputenc instead.

As Élie mentioned, the documentation says otherwise. I'll try Ulrike's fix.

> When compiling with lualatex, however, \usepackage[utf8]{luainputenc} is
> unnecessary because UTF-8 is already the default. If you want to be
> compatible with all three major engines, use a switch like the following:

It's a common misconception: despite the name, luainputenc is also related to
the output (ie font) encoding. If you want to use 8-bit fonts (which may be the
case for legacy documents), you *do* need it, of fontenc won't work properly.

So, you (currently) need luainputenc if :
- your input encoding isn't UTF-8
OR (inclusive)
-your font encoding isn't allways Unicode.

Manuel.