[luatex] LuaTeX and LuaLaTeX logos

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Tue Mar 9 02:13:24 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 01:52:25AM +0100, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 8 March 2010 Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>  > On 24-2-2010 14:03, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>  > > Élie Roux wrote:
>  > >> Hello,
>  > >>
>  > >> While trying to get the \LuaTeX and \LuaLaTeX macros into the
>  > >> LaTeX metalogo package, I tried to make the logos a bit more
>  > >> fancy but still respecting the style of the LuaTeX manual. Here
>  > >> is my attempt. What do you think about it? My personal favorites
>  > >> are proposal 3 for both.
>  > >
>  > > You probably already know how I feel about this: proposal 1 is my
>  > > favorite.
>  >
>  > Indeed. No fancy shifting needed. It also avoids endless
>  > discussions about how to deal with it in whatever font: just
>  > Lua\TeX as we have been using right from the start.
>  >
>  > I don't care about the lualatex logo.
>
> Hans, I fully agree.  This "fancy shifting" is ridiculous, of course.
> But it's actually unavoidable because it was introduced by Knuth and
> we all know that Knuth is infallible. IMO it's (more than) sufficient
> if "Lua\TeX" contains "\TeX".
>
> In order to avoid endless discussions I think that Taco should decide
> and carve his decision in stone.

I don't recall anybody objecting on Taco's decision, I don't see any
"endless discussions" either, all what I see is a genuine question which
is, to the best of my knowledge, is first time to be asked. I'm just
sating that because I don't like the implied stigmatization of any one
daring to even mention the "funny logos", and no, I don't think Knuth is
infallible and I find such note very offensive.

P.S. I do find the mixed casing of TeX or LaTeX more ridiculous, it
doesn't even have the sense of cleverness or hack the typeset logo has.

P.S.2 I posted a more funny LuaTeX logo a while ago, it was a kind of
joke actually, just in case some one came across it and thought I was
seriously proposing it.

Regards,
 Khaled

--