[luatex] problem with slnunicode's find

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 09:43:02 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Patrick Gundlach <patrick at gundla.ch> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this discussion is IMO whether unicode.* libraries are a replacement for string or not.
Hm.
A difficult question.

string.* is in the core lua , selene no;
maybe we will drop selene for a new unicode library and the semantic
of the new unicode.utf8.find will be different
from the semantic of  string.find  --- or maybe there will be another
kind of find.

I understand that actually (by design I believe) "selene" find() and
"string" find() share the same semantic,
but I prefear to use string.*   for byte oriented  operations
and unicode.<encode>.* for unicode (<encode> encoded) operations
Said in another way:
I don't like to mix string.* and unicode.*  --- but as you wrote
selene was design to manage this particular situation .

The relevant question is:
Have we found a bug in unicode.utf8.find or it's correct but we
disagree about its behavior ?
If  we disagree, what is the expected behavior ?
Can we implement an acceptable  wrapper  ?

--
luigi