[luatex] LuaTeX doesn't like it when boxes stick together too directly.

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Thu Jun 24 22:02:48 CEST 2010

Hello all,

And here's one more little bug in that wonderful thing:

\setbox0=\vbox{foo}
\setbox1=\vbox{bar}
\dimen0=\dimexpr(\ht0+\dp0)
\setbox0\vbox{%
  \box0
  \pdfliteral direct {}
  \kern-\dimen0
  \prevdepth-1000pt
  \box1}

\box0
\bye

"bar" should cover "foo", and it is the case if "\pdfliteral direct {}"
is not there; but here "bar" appears on the right of "foo" (as if they
shared an hbox). Of course, this doesn't happen with pdfTeX.
The emptiness of \pdfliteral is immaterial (it was quite full when I
discovered the problem), whereas its directness matters.
Interestingly, if you substract 0.0004pt (not 0.0003pt!) from \dimen0 in
the \dimexpr, everything goes back to normal.
I use the latest official release and apart from that I'm quite happy
with it :)

Best,
Paul