[luatex] Unicode math issue with LuaLaTeX

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Jun 13 14:09:07 CEST 2010

Ulrik Vieth <ulrik.vieth at arcor.de> wrote:

> On 06/13/2010 12:01 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> >>
> >> Is there a $\fam=3 $ set up in lualatex?
> >
> > Sorry, that should be \fam=4, I guess. Luatex takes the parameters
> > from the currently active math family, I think.
>
> Seems to me that LuaLaTeX starts out with TFM-based CM fonts preloaded
> in \fam 0...3.  (That's still the default setup for LaTeX, after all.)
> After that, unicode-math.sty begins to load additional OT math fonts
> in \fam 4 and upwards.

no.  latex sets up the fonts thus, but doesn't assign the families until
the first maths group; this way, you can have a non-cm font family
without being having 4 families already set up -- remember, there's a
chronic shortage of maths font families.

run the following small doc:

\documentclass{article}
%deliberately not minimal...
\begin{document}
 \typeout{\string\the\string\textfont0\space is \the\textfont0}
$\typeout{\string\the\string\textfont0\space is \the\textfont0}$
\end{document}

the output is

  \the\textfont0 is \nullfont
  \the\textfont0 is \OT1/cmr/m/n/10

latex has set up fam0--fam3 at the start of the first group.

plain doesn't, of course, do this.  latex can, since it has the luxury
of a highly complex font-handling mechanism.

robin