[luatex] hyphenating ancient Greek

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jun 12 23:20:28 CEST 2010

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:

> On 12 June 2010 Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
>  > Unicode have uppercase/lowe case matching some where in its data, so we
>  > could just follow whatever unicode suggests.

i didn't know about that.  i haven't finished reading even the wildly
out of date unicode standard i have (dating from some time in the 90s),
let alone a current version.

> Sure, but I fear that Robin's objection is still valid.  Unicode
> treats Turkish as an exception too, see:
>
>    http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/CaseFolding.txt
>
> As far as I understand you have to know in advance whether you are
> typesetting Turkish.  A static table for all languages isn't
> sufficient.
>
> It would be much more convenient if case folding wouldn't depend on
> the language, i.e. the Turkish "i" had a separate code point.

interesting the difference in attitude as between different languages.
for example, the glyph capital A appears in english, greek and russian
-- three different alphabets --- with the same sound (to first order).

yet a significantly different pair of glyphs (i in english and turkish)
apparently occupy the same code point.  (unfortunately, in the russian-
greek-english i speak from some knowledge of all three languages, but i
know no turkish at all, beyond its typographic issues and what spam in
turkish looks like...).

> However, I think it's solvable.

it would be interesting to know how.

robin