[luatex] hyphenating ancient Greek

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Jun 12 22:55:56 CEST 2010

On 12 June 2010 Khaled Hosny wrote:

 > On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 07:16:48PM +0100, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
 > > Patrick Gundlach <patrick at gundla.ch> wrote:
 > >
 > > > ... to set lccode for every greek letter (as far as understand it, but someone else should confirm).
 > > >
 > > > Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 29--29
 > > > [][] \EU2/cmr/m/n/12 χα-λε-πὰ
 > > >
 > > > ... whishing that this could be done at the engine level....
 > >
 > > what?  setting uc/lccode tables?  that would require a further primitive
 > > to specify the language (and probably also writing scheme -- i'm not
 > > enough of a linguist to know), since the meanings and relations of
 > > glyphs differ in some languages.
 > >
 > > type example:
 > >
 > > in english, the uccode of i gives you I
 > > in turkish, the uccode of i gives you \.I
 > >        (and the lccode of I gives you \i)
 >
 > Unicode have uppercase/lowe case matching some where in its data, so we
 > could just follow whatever unicode suggests.

Sure, but I fear that Robin's objection is still valid.  Unicode
treats Turkish as an exception too, see:

   http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/CaseFolding.txt

As far as I understand you have to know in advance whether you are
typesetting Turkish.  A static table for all languages isn't
sufficient.

It would be much more convenient if case folding wouldn't depend on
the language, i.e. the Turkish "i" had a separate code point.

However, I think it's solvable.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25