[luatex] LuaTeX file almost 2.5x bigger

Robert w.m.l at gmx.net
Sat Jul 31 20:10:28 CEST 2010

On 31.07.10 17:58, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> Which is what microtypography is all about: improving the visual
>> appearance *without being noticeable*.
>
> The thing is: the profound level of unnoticeable that came out of the
> statistical tests for font expansion nullifies the 'improving the
> visual appearance' goal. Wholly unnoticed improvements are not
> actually improvements at all.

I don't believe that they go unnoticed. Less hyphenations are a clear
improvement, less overfull boxes even more so. And I've come across a
considerable number of statements along the lines: "Gosh, all them
overfull boxes have vanished!"

My impression is that Hans may have been referring to the first tests,
which you carried out at NTG and Dante in 1999, where *level 2*
expansion wasn't available yet.

Best regards,
--
  Robert