[luatex] LuaTeX file almost 2.5x bigger

bulia byak buliabyak at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 19:02:00 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:
> The thing is: the profound level of unnoticeable that came out of the
> statistical tests for font expansion nullifies the 'improving the
> visual appearance' goal. Wholly unnoticed improvements are not
> actually improvements at all.

I doubt that. First of all, how much text was used in the comparisons?
I know that the impression from reading a single paragraph is quite
different from reading a whole book.

Then, I still disagree with your statement. There are many subtleties
in, for example, Shakespeare that 99% of readers will miss, but which,
when explained in footnotes, will be quite interesting for them and
which contribute to the perception of Shakespeare as a great poet.
Depth does not have to be obvious, but the knowledge that it's there -
even if you don't notice it yourself until pointed - can make a work
more enjoyable.

Finally, there's a purely pragmatic aspect. Even if we disregard human
perception, microtypography can result in denser typesetting and thus
less paper spent on printing a book.

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.