[luatex] LuaTeX file almost 2.5x bigger

Robert w.m.l at gmx.net
Thu Jul 29 04:21:46 CEST 2010

On 25.07.10 20:21, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> I'm not familiar with microtype. Thanks to a post from Ulrike Fischer,
> my settings are:
>
> \pdfprotrudechars2\pdfadjustspacing2
> \defaultfontfeatures{RawFeature={protrusion=default; expansion=default;},Mapping=tex-text,Scale=MatchLowercase}

The "default" expansion settings (which are defined in
luaotfload/otfl-font-dum.lua) specify different expansion factors for
different glyphs (so-called selected expansion). Apart from the fact
that this is the reason why your pdf is blown up, it is not recommended
(at least not by Han The Thanh) from a typographical point of view. So,
to have all glyphs expanded by the same amount, you can use the
following settings instead:

\pdfprotrudechars2
\pdfadjustspacing2
\directlua{
   fonts.expansion.setups['nonselected'] =
     { stretch = 2, shrink = 2, step = .1, factor = 1 } }
\defaultfontfeatures{RawFeature={protrusion=default;
expansion=nonselected;}, Mapping=tex-text, Scale=MatchLowercase}

On 27.07.10 19:26, Hans Hagen wrote:
> now, in pdftex, pseudo fonts are uses, so there many steps lead to
> many font instances being included, while in luatex the font is
> included once and transform matrices are injected ...

Just for the record, pdftex also takes the textmatrix approach since v1.40.

  Robert