[luatex] [unimath] some bits of opentype math testing

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sun Jul 25 22:40:12 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 08:58:02PM +0200, Ulrik Vieth wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've been doing a bit of OpenType math testing once again with
> LuaLaTeX, XeLaTeX, and ConTeXt MkIV, all based on the final
> (currently frozen) TL2010 pretest version.
>
> Here are a my observations of rendering and font loading issues.
>
> I expect that none of them are serious show stoppers for the
> TL2010 release, but they might lead to subsequent online updates
> after the TL release.
>
> Regards, Ulrik
>

> Rendering issues (ConTeXt):

[...]

> - For prime (U+0232), ConTeXt does not use the font substitution
>   prime -> prime.ssty, so the raised prime appears too small.
>
>   This problem was recently fixed in luaotfload for LuaLaTeX
>   and the fix probably needs to be ported back to ConTeXt now.
>   (Or maybe ConTeXt needs to be updated again in TL2010.)

This is already fixed in ConTeXt beta, it was a different issue than in
LuaLaTeX (the ssty feature activation got accidentally disabled during
some code shuffling).

[...]

> Font loading issues (ConTeXt and LuaLaTeX):
>
> - If cambria.ttc is installed in texmf-local/fonts/opentype,
>   luaotfload fails to find the font "Cambria" or "Cambria Math".
>   If cambria.ttc is installed in texmf-local/fonts/truetype,
>   luaotfload correctly resolves the font name.

This is a kpathsea issue (TTC and TTF fonts are looked for in $TTFONTS
not $OPENTYPEFONTS and thus the font names database generation code will
not see cambria.ttc in the first case (you can check with kpsewhich).

>   With ConTeXt it doesn't matter where cambria.ttc was installed.
>   It was correctly found it both locations.
>
> - If euler.otf is installed in texmf-local/fonts/opentype,
>   Context fails to find the font, whereas luaotfload does find it.
>
>   Does this depend on specific names in the defintion of typescript
>   pagella-euler in type-otf.mkiv?

ConTeXt doesn't use kpathsea, luaotfload does. To check if ConTeXt can
find a file try `luatools --find`.

> Font loading issues (XeLaTeX):
>
> - For Asana-Math, you get a messed up PDF file, if the font
>   is loaded with \setmathfont{Asana Math}, because there are
>   both OTF and TTF versions of the font in the texmf tree.
>   If the font is loaded with \setmathfont{Asana-Math.otf}
>   (specific type), there are no problems.
>
>   With LuaLaTeX, using the unspecific type works fine.

This is a known XeTeX bug (engine bug, no mutter which of te two files
fontspec will load).

> Font issues:
>
> - It would be nice if Neo-Euler would have a \hslash glpyh (U+210F).
> - It would be nice if Neo-Euler would have a bold \nabla (U+1D6C1).

I'll put them on the, unwritten, TODO list :)
(tracker issues so it does not get missed is appreciated, now and in
the future.)

Regards,
 Khaled

--