[luatex] LuaTeX file almost 2.5x bigger

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Jul 25 22:34:19 CEST 2010

On 25-7-2010 10:24, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> AFAIK LuaTeX doesn't embed expanded fonts many times, is there any
> possibity that in the future the font expansion technology in LuaTeX
> will be improved so that LuaTeX would generate smaller files?

Actually the backend code has been rewritten and this is the way it's
done now. I think that the larger file size is a non-issue for documents
that end up in professional print (esp when images are also part of teh
document). For documents meant for reading from displays font expansion
makes no sense anyway (actually, in print it also is somewhat debatable
as abusing it makes things worse).

Btw, as font expansion works on a line basis, having many more steps
does not make a big difference in file size (contrary to having more
font instances) so there you gain. Also, you might consider applying
font expansion in selected cases.