[luatex] LuaTeX file almost 2.5x bigger

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Sun Jul 25 22:24:11 CEST 2010

On 07/25/2010 07:22 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> On 07/25/2010 06:37 PM, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>>
>> So it seems that XeTeX is more efficient in positioning text, but I
>> am not going to judge which is better, as I have no understanding of
>> the background mechanism.
>
> This is a side effect of the font expansion technology, enabled by
> the microtype package. To get a smaller lualatex file size, you can
> disable that package (at the expense of some typesetting quality).

Taco,

I have just remembered that something similar happened to pdftex: it
generated larger files when font expansion was enabled, but according to
the microtype documentation that was due to the fact that fonts were
embedded many times. This was improved in a newer version.

AFAIK LuaTeX doesn't embed expanded fonts many times, is there any
possibity that in the future the font expansion technology in LuaTeX
will be improved so that LuaTeX would generate smaller files?

Thanks for your help,

Pablo