[luatex] letterspacing in LuaTeX

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Sun Jul 25 12:57:02 CEST 2010

On 07/25/2010 12:15 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> On 07/25/2010 12:12 PM, Elie Roux wrote:
>> Pablo Rodríguez a écrit :
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I have read in the microtype documentation (page 39) that tracking is
>>> not supported in LuaTeX because the \letterspacefont is missing.
>
> It is rightly disabled: the primitive exists, but it does not actually
> work. I'll add a tracker item. Letterspacing was disabled a long time
> ago during the font backend rewrite, and I forgot to restore the
> feature afterwards. By now, it takes some work as the code has deviated
> quite a bit from the original in pdftex.

Thanks, Elie and Taco, for the replies.

In the meantime, a workaround might be to use the \so command from the
soulutf8 package. This is what I tried first and here is a sample:

\documentclass[10pt]{book}
\usepackage{luaotfload}
\usepackage[EU2]{fontenc}
\usepackage{soulutf8}
\makeatletter\font\SOUL at tt="FreeMono.ttf"\setbox\z@\hbox{\SOUL at tt-}\SOUL at ttwidth\wd\z@\makeatother
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Theano Didot}
\begin{document}
This is only a \so{test}.

The Greek sentence {\so{χαλεπὰ τὰ καλά}}.
\end{document}

The patch for XeLaTeX was kindly provided by Ulrike Fisher
(http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2010-May/016763.html), but it doesn't
seem to work with LuaLaTeX (and I don't have any idea why it doesn't).

All I get is the following message:

     ! Package soul Error: Reconstruction failed.

Just in case it might help, XeLaTeX had problems with non-ASCII
characters. (Theano Classical fonts are available at
http://www.thessalonica.org.ru/en/fonts-download.html.)

Thanks for your help,

Pablo