[luatex] LuaTeX and LuaLaTeX logos

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Feb 24 23:31:24 CET 2010

On 24 February 2010 ulrik.vieth at arcor.de wrote:

 > Why not give it to Arthur and let him fiddle out the the amount of
 > spacing.  I recall, he even held a talk at BachoTeX about
 > fine-tuning the logos, so now we can make him the official logo
 > expert. ;-)

I don't think it's worthwhile to invest any time into such stupid
logos.  \TeX is not very problematic, but \LaTeX is a pain if typeset
with anything else but Computer Modern.

LuaTeX combines Lua and TeX, Lua has its own logo and it's wrong to
create a new one.  Thus, the only reasonable solution is:

 \def\LuaTeX{Lua\TeX}
 \def\LuaLaTeX{Lua\LaTeX}

Fine-tuning the logos dosn't make any sense at all unless they all
depend on a particular font.

I also think that Knuth introduced a few bad habits.  Using a logo in
continuous text is pure nonsense.  Suppose you are writing a book about
Lua.  Would you replace every occurrence of the word "Lua" by the Lua
logo?

What bothers me all the time is that every book about TeX/LaTeX wastes
a whole page in order to explain how to pronounce the word "TeX" properly.
A single sentence would suffice: "Knuth pronounces it 'Tek'".

Sorry, I regard TeX as a program, not as a religion.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25